This 15th Century building is one of the oldest Pubs in Canterbury it has been in existence for over 300 years. The Pub is first mentioned as the “Morocco” in the Licensing list of 1692. In the 18th and 19th Century, the Pub was known as the Angel and Castle. In 1892, the pub was registered under its present name The City Arms.
The City Arms escaped with only slight damage during the Wartime bombing raids on Canterbury when the opposite side of Butchery Lane was destroyed.
A major fire in July 2001 badly damaged The City Arms and the pub was closed for over 3 years until reopening in August 2004 by the present operators Stoneset Inns.